Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Pet Peeves– “Going Digital”

Rant in progress…

1. All the binging. While you may need to know the very second that you’ve been emailed or Facebooked or tweeted I do not. One word: vibrate.
2. Here’s a sample conversation that drives me nuts. NC = Not Connected  GD = Gone Digital
NC 1: I haven’t been out with my husband in a long time.
NC 2: I hear ya, sista’! The last time we went out was when Spider Man II came out. So a few years ago.
GD: (Pulls out a small electronic device and retreats into silence for about 1.5 minutes)
NC 1: Well, it hasn’t been that long for us but it’s about time we get out. Oh! I was talking to Susann the other day and she told me about this sale -
GD:  2004.
NC 1 and 2: Huh?
GD: Spider Man II – 2004.
Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.
3. Doing things fake that should be done real. If you have hours to play Guitar Hero just LEARN TO PLAY GUITAR!
4. Apple in general. I’m a proletariat and PC is good enough for me.

I say all this as a personal warning to myself because I am getting an Ipad2 for my 30th birthday from the Love Doctor! And therefore am in serious danger of becoming my own worst enemy. But danger is the way to live! Any iphone/ipad app suggestions? I still have 8 days to wait and I’m just dying!

6 comments:

  1. there are so many good Catholic apps! there's a free rosary app, there is a prayer app from Diving Office that is awesome -- just about any prayer you can think of. You can also get the Liturgy of the Hours. I also like the confession app - the examination of conscience is very helpful.
    In the more secular vein, we like to play Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, Bubble Bust, Words with Friends, Boggle . . . .
    Have fun with your new present!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm completely with you on all four counts. Oh wait, the love doc isn't buying me an ipad and I'm way past 30. All 3 first counts. "Just because you can doesn't mean you should" -- I couldn't agree more (but clearly I'm a NC). And what's this early birthday presenting??? Your birthday is in July. And please tell the Love Doc that MY birthday is only 6 weeks after yours... :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Early Birthday!!
    You'll have fun, and probably find your laptop getting dusty.
    Suggestion: redeem a $50+ itunes gift card and remember, you only have to pay for the app once if you download under the same account even if you have multiple iOS devices in the family.
    Apps?:
    Pampers' "HELLO BABY" is free and has great images of developing babies (touch them to see actual size).
    IMOVIE is a deal at $5.
    DRAGON DICTATION is a sweet way to speed up long emails by speaking them instead of typing.
    TERRA is a better browser than the standard "safari" one.
    PICA or FRIENDLY for facebook.
    AMR Radio to hear your dad crystal clear!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, that is an awesome bday present. how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohhhh... you can take your ipad to the grocery store... I bet you can save the price of that ipad in 1 year of couponing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am i this GD of which you speak? Hanging head in shame....

    ReplyDelete