Wednesday, October 29, 2008

pretend post

I'm going to do a meme that I'm tagging myself for based on Aimee at the Mother Load's suggestion. I've done this once before too but, whatever, it's easy.

Rules: Grab the nearest book. Open the book to page 56. Find the fifth sentence. Post the text of the next two to five sentences on your blog along with these instructions. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the cool book, or the intellectual one: pick the CLOSEST. Tag five other people to do the same.

The closest book to me is a toss up between the Scholastic Disney book "Cars" and the slightly more sophisticated, "The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook", by Beth Hensperger. Since the great American novel, "Cars" only has 45 pages I'm going with the bread book. I'm actually intending to give making my own bread a go because, well, apparently that's what people around here do.

"A favorite dish of princes, old English recipes for payn pur-dew refer to bread soaked in an elixir of spiced sherry, eggs, spices, and cream. In Germany it is called Drunken Maidens or Arme Ritter (Poor Knights), with regional variations sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar or touting poppy seeds. The Swedes serve it sandwiched with ham and cheese for dinner and the Mexicans know it as fritada. For the Jewish holiday of Purim it is served "Queen Esther's Toast."

Not thrilling but stick around for an update on my bread-making experiment, that is sure to be titillating.

No comments:

Post a Comment