Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Gotta Love GK


I just saw this on my dear friend Maria's blog and thought it was worth sharing for those friends of mine who don't usually get over to her blog (not for my lack of encouragement!).
It's from G.K. Chesterton...
How can it be a large career to tell other people’s children about the Rule of Three, and a small career to tell one’s own children about the universe? How can it be broad to be the same thing to everyone, and narrow to be everything to someone? No; a woman’s function is laborious, but because it is gigantic, not because it is minute. I will pity Mrs. Jones for the hugeness of her task; I will never pity her for its smallness.

I've been thinking, well not really thinking so much as feeling, a lot about this lately. We share a pool with a daycare group and seeing all of those little kiddos without their mommys everyday...well, it just breaks my heart to think that there are moms out there who choose to live their lives apart from their little darlings. Who let other people be the ones to kiss the boo boos and watch them blow bubbles in the water and discipline them when they push another kid...someone has to do these things "full-time". I want to be the backdrop to my child's life. In some sense I want to be taken for granted - I don't want my presence to be "special". I don't want my child to be excited that I'm actually with them during the day in the middle of the week. I want that to be the given. So, thank God that I'm blessed to be in a community where making a home and tending to my children is respected and even admired (thanks GK).

No comments:

Post a Comment