Wednesday, February 6, 2008

My first meme

I have been tagged for a couple of these and never made good on it - sorry! But lately I've got quite a back up and so I thought that I would do this one first because it seems like the quickest :). Angelmeg tagged me for this book meme - here are the rules:
1. Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people.

So, my book is
My Grandfather's Son, A Memoir by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas. I was particularly drawn to this book because he is a Catholic, very conservative Justice and I've heard him interviewed several times. His story is truly, truly one of the great success stories of the "American Dream". He started out in a tiny town in GA called Pinpoint, speaking a version of Geechee, hauling water from a common well, with all of his relatives working in a factory shelling clams around one iron stove, and singing spirituals. In the 1950's. We are not talking about the 1800's - this is in the 1950's! He endured fearful racism through all of his schooling and he now has one of the most powerful and respected positions in the country. Well worth the read.

Here you go, sentences 6-8, page 123:
"My first trip to Washington had been to protest the Vietnam War, but now I was part of the decision-making apparatus of the federal government - the tiniest possible part, to be sure, but a part all the same. I was no longer on the outside looking in. You can't live in Washington for very long without becoming cynical about politicians and their motives, but I've never doubted the greatness of a country in which a person like me could travel all the way from Pinpoint to Capitol Hill."

Yea, America!!!

So, I tag (carefully avoiding all of you ladies who just recently had babes, though if you're up for it I'd love you to join in):
Favorite Aunt Reenie
Muddy Mama
Christine and her Good Company
The Shady Characters (Joshie)
Rose at A Catholic Mother's Thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment