Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Canning Season

October2010 122 

The picture above is about as much canning as I’ve done in the last couple years (aside from a quantity of freezer jam). October2010 376

I had my canning season rescued by the visit of a couple dear friends from HOME. They came down, we canned applesauce and apple butter and I realized why it is that I don’t enjoy canning down here in the south. I don’t like thinking. Canning is such a multi-tasking endeavor and so I like to do it but only when someone else is keeping all the plates spinning. Enter, Maureen.October2010 377

So, we “put up” close to 30 quarts of applesauce in a few hours, got to visit and even made a trip to the local antique mall and I walked away with a STEAL of a deal on an antique quilt. All while the husbands took the band of 6 youngins to visit a couple of the Smithsonian’s best offering. Easy cheesy, right? I think that they only lost 1 of the kids for a little while.

So next year I just need them to visit in May for the strawberries, June for the blueberries, July for raspberries, August for peaches, September for tomatoes and October for apples. You just get on top of that, please. Thank you very much.

5 comments:

  1. Got it, visits in May, June, July, August, Sept. and October. Sounds good to me :) Thanks for hosting!!! So great to spend the weekend with my Loves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lex- every time I see pics of your house it looks stinking adorable!!!! I love the rack for drying flowers... and the way you store your knives... oh, the octagon rug... LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i totally agree angela! does john keep giving you lots of roses alexis?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww. You girls are so sweet. My house would be cute...if it were EVER clean. Unfortunately the picture of Rosie at the top of the post is more a more accurate picture of what I live among then the others. So sad. Truly.
    BUT, yes Katie! For Christmas last year John gave me fresh flowers every week for a year. I think he's only missed a couple of weeks and it's already October! Awesome, huh? Remember how good he was about sending me flowers in college? Ang, remember going to pick up my first flowers, "bon giorno, principessa!". And I totally didn't think that's what they were and you kept telling me that's the only thing the package could be. Awww. I miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES! man- those were the days! We did have fun in college didn't we? John has always been a good flower giver, but I do recall that you had to convinced at first!

    ReplyDelete