Saturday, November 22, 2008

Planes, Trains and Space Shuttles


We took a rather impromptu trip to the Air and Space Museum today and even more impromptu-ly had a friend and his children join us. Moses and Paul are about the same age (4ish) and so for them most of the "Space" part of the museum was pretty new. In a gallery that was displaying the planets as balls hanging down from the ceiling we prompted the boys to "find the Earth. It's the blue ball. It's where we live." Paul found it first and shouted, "That's where we live." Moses angrily retorted, "No! That's where we live!" How am I ever going to explain this world to these children? Where do you start? I guess that "we all live on Earth" is a good starting point.

When we got home I asked Moses what his favorite part of the museum was and he dejectedly responded that he, "thought there would be trains there." He then called up a memory of happier times. His 45-minute train trip with my 7-year-old brother Vid.
"My favorite was in the 1940's, when we were in Michigan, and took an Amtrak to Dearborn with Vid."

1940's? Maybe I should start with a timeline. I just don't know, I tell you. It's a daunting task to get a little person oriented in this great big world.

No comments:

Post a Comment