Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Regularly scheduled programming

This is our first week back to our "normal" schedule since the middle of November. Due to trips, holidays and a family crisis, thrown in just to make life interesting, we have been running around like chickens without heads, hence the lack of posting. But yesterday we began real-life in earnest and it was very nice. This morning we got up, dropped the Love-doctor off at work and went to mass, where something that I thought was really funny happened.
We attend daily mass in a business complex that has a chapel included. They offer 4 masses a day plus confessions after every mass, adoration once a week and morning and evening prayer at the beginning and end of the typical work day. Rah rah Tom!
Lots of non-religious businesses and religious businesses rent space here and consequently have their newspapers delivered here. So, when you walk in for the early mass there is always a pile of papers laying there with the different organizations names on them. Well, I walked in past the papers and there was a woman there who I know (she goes to my church and is...well...let's say that I was avoiding getting into a conversation with her because it is very difficult to extricate yourself from the stream once you're in it) and she was poking through the papers and finally picked up a copy of the Ann Arbor News. I thought, "Hmmm, I know she doesn't work here - well, maybe she's carrying a paper to an organization for them, just to be nice. Oh well, I have to run to the restroom before mass." But I changed my mind about going to the bathroom when I saw her heading there (once again, the stream). So, at the homily (about 15-20 minutes later) I decided I really needed to go to the bathroom and hauled both my kids down the hallway (helicopters and all) and as I opened the door to the bathroom she was walking out - without the paper. I get into the stall and, lo and behold, there is the paper in the waste-paper basket. I don't know exactly why I find this so funny but I think that it has something to do with the idea of walking into a place of business, stealing a newspaper, and then using their toilet to carry out my morning paper-reading-taking-a-dump routine, all 20 minutes of it. I've been chuckling about it all morning, especially because then I saw her going up to communion at mass afterwards. What an odd duck.
On a totally unrelated note except the close time-proximity, we passed a worm on our way out to the car after mass and Moses was curious so I was explaining worms to him. "They live in the dirt and sometimes when it rains it gets too wet for them and so they come out. Also, sometimes you can put a worm on a hook and try to catch a fish because fish like to eat worms."
To which he knowingly replied, "Um. No mommy. The fish are movin and groovin in the water and the worms are not, so the fish are not eatin the worms."

No comments:

Post a Comment